Skip to main content

Getting rid of Covetousness (Love of money)

(ASV) Be ye free from the love of money; content with such things as ye have: for himself hath said, I will in no wise fail thee, neither will I in any wise forsake thee. Heb 13:5

Some time back I started worrying about how to save money for some of the needs I am having in my life. As this worry crept into my mind, there are traces of worry hovering around my mind. As I was going through the bible, God showed me the above verse. I have seen this verse many times before, but this time some how I felt God is speaking to me through this.

This verse can be divided into the following components:
  • To be free from Love of Money
  • Contentment
  • Promise

To be free from Love of money
Love of money is also refered as covetousness, greed or lust for more money. Paul also compared the love of money to idolatory. King James Bible mentiones that our conversation be without covetousness, which indicates that it is not good to even converse or talk about coveting more money. Covetousness leads to worry about things of this world. I believe this is not suitable for the well being of our inner man as people of God.

Contentment

Lack of contentment can indicate the lack of faith in God. Contentment is directly proporational to your degree of faith or dependence on God. A content person has learnt to put His confidence in His heavenly Father, who knows the needs of His children. Lack of contentment also indicates the lack of complete understanding of the God, who is the creator of heaven and earth.

A promise - I will not fail you nor forsake you
This promise was given to Joshua when he was about to take the leadership mantle from Moses (Jos 1:5). But here Paul applies this promise to handle covetousness (love of money). The promise says, God will not fail us nor forsake us. In the context of love for money, it gives us the key to handle this problem. In other words, it is not God's wish or desire that His people should fail or be forsaken. The promise also indicates that God will not leave us, He will be with us. When God is with us, we shall not lack any good thing. In the bible we observe the same thing in the life of Joseph and David. These people were successful because God was with them. David could win all those battles because God was with him.

Now, I have a question. What does it mean to be content with what you have with out covetousness? Does it mean that as God's people, we should live in poverty without having any of the needs met or desires of our own? Psalms 37:4 says, "Delight thyself also in Jehovah; And he will give thee the desires (petitions) of thy heart." As God's people, we don't have to kill our needs, desires. All that we have to do is letting our heart to have confidence in the Heavenly Father, delighting in the Lord, knowing that God has taken care of our desires. How joyful our walk with God can be, if we can put our confidence in His faithfulness.

I am thankful to God that He has revealed the solution to this problem. I rejoice in God to see the same promise that was given to Joshua, being applied to this problem. Glory be to our Faithful God. May God deliver us from the worries of this world and help us to focus on things from above.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I thank you for you are a God who is Faithful to your children to establish the covenant of peace. I rejoice in your faithfulness, in your living word. Your word promises that you are eagerly waiting to establish your covenant with me and to manifest your word (promises) in my life. I let my heart delight in you, to have confidence in your faithfulness. Glorify thy name in me. I pray that you will deliver your children from the love of money and to see your plan of meeting all our needs and desires. Break this bondage in Jesus name. May your name be exalted as we depend on you. In the mighty name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord is my Light and the Rock of salvation

Read Pslams 27:1 - 3 1 THE LORD is my Light and my Salvation--whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. 3 Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, [even then] in this will I be confident. In this Psalm, the author sings with confidence "The Lord is my light and the rock of my salvation. Whom shall I fear, whom shall I fear". Important fact to note is the confidence with which he sings. Many times, we go through our days without confidence and peace that we observe in the psalmist. The author goes to the extent of declaring that he will not be afraid even if an enemy encamps around him or a war comes up. There is a promise in the Bible, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything with prayers and thanksgiving submit your requests to God and the

Joy in the midst of Nazi Concentration camps

The well known survivor of Nazi concentration camps by God's grace, Corrie Ten Boom writes in her book titled, " A Prisoner and yet... " While being imprisoned at Vught prison camp by Nazis, the women of Harlem (A town in Holland from where Corrie Ten Boom hails from) used to sing the following song under their pressing conditions: " We never let our courage fall, We hold our heads up high. They never, never will prevail, No matter how they try. Onward we press, our word is 'yes', Heads up, you women of Vught, heads up. " Their faith in the living God is the source of their confidence to sing the above song under such a horrible in-human treatment by Nazis. What an assurance of peace it is to know that the Joy of the Lord is indeed our strength as we go through the pressures of life and fight against the principalities of this dark world. It is in such circumstances as these that the character of christ is formed in us. Unless the seed dies, it canno

A life that lost it's focus

"Saul died for his trespass against the Lord [in sparing Amalek], for his unfaithfulness in not keeping God's word, and also for consulting [a medium with] a spirit of the dead to inquire pleadingly of it, And inquired not so of the Lord [in earnest penitence] ..." 1 Chronicles 10:13,14 Saul, the first king of Israel, began his walk very well. It was the ideal start any one could look for - with all the favor from God and Prophet Samuel, being the tallest one among the people, being the first king of Israel. But along the way, he lost the focus and the end was a miserable and sad one. I am sure you will agree with me that it is how you finish, is more important than how you start . It is definitely an advantage to start well, but finishing is more crucial. The above verse made me think on why Saul's end was a sad one? What are the lessons that I could learn from him? He disobeyed the specific command to destroy the Amalekites Not keeping God's word - In general