Skip to main content

Who Am I?

Most people struggle with this question of identity at some point in their life. But this is a very important question which needs to be addressed. I try to address this question based on what Bible says about my identity. Until few years back, I struggled with this question and lived a life of "no identity, no purpose". Once I found the answer to this question, life became meanignful and I could face all those times of frustration, disappointment and boredom.

The straight answer to this question is "I am the son of living God, who is the creator of heaven and earth". In the very first page of bible, it was clearly mentioned that every individual is created in the image of God, irrespective of race, status, sex.

"God said, Let Us [Father, Son, and Holy Spirit] make mankind in Our image, after Our likeness, and let them have complete authority over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, the [tame] beasts, and over all of the earth, and over everything that creeps upon the earth." Genesis 1:26

From the above verse, it is very clear that I am created in the image, likeness of God, which means I am a very important person, so is every individual. The image, likeness that are being refered here mean that we are created to have a character like that of God. We are supposed to be holy like God, loving like God, to have faith like that of God, to have the creative ability like that of God.

Well, you might wonder if every individual is created to have a character like God's, why don't we experience it in others. Well, the answer is that once Adam and Eve disobeyed God by yielding to the temptation, the whole human race lost it's identity. This is the reason, we don't experience God like character in us. This is the reason, people struggle with the question of their identity.

Moving on to find my lost identity, I found another verse in the bible. Here it is: "But to as many as did receive and welcome Him(Jesus), He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name" John 1:12. From this verse, we see that every one gets the previlege to become the child of God if he believes in Jesus Christ. The moment, I believe in Jesus, I will regain my identity - a child of God and I will have the likeness of my Father(God).

This truth takes away lot of struggle and confusion. I don't need to struggle with lack of identity anymore. I don't have to copy anyone. I can be my self just as God has created me. By the way, I am the best if I behave the way God created me. You will be the best if you could find your identity and be like what God has created you to be.

I will address "How to regain my God given identity?" in another post.

May God help you to understand your true identity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord is my Light and the Rock of salvation

Read Pslams 27:1 - 3 1 THE LORD is my Light and my Salvation--whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. 3 Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, [even then] in this will I be confident. In this Psalm, the author sings with confidence "The Lord is my light and the rock of my salvation. Whom shall I fear, whom shall I fear". Important fact to note is the confidence with which he sings. Many times, we go through our days without confidence and peace that we observe in the psalmist. The author goes to the extent of declaring that he will not be afraid even if an enemy encamps around him or a war comes up. There is a promise in the Bible, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything with prayers and thanksgiving submit your requests to God and the

Joy in the midst of Nazi Concentration camps

The well known survivor of Nazi concentration camps by God's grace, Corrie Ten Boom writes in her book titled, " A Prisoner and yet... " While being imprisoned at Vught prison camp by Nazis, the women of Harlem (A town in Holland from where Corrie Ten Boom hails from) used to sing the following song under their pressing conditions: " We never let our courage fall, We hold our heads up high. They never, never will prevail, No matter how they try. Onward we press, our word is 'yes', Heads up, you women of Vught, heads up. " Their faith in the living God is the source of their confidence to sing the above song under such a horrible in-human treatment by Nazis. What an assurance of peace it is to know that the Joy of the Lord is indeed our strength as we go through the pressures of life and fight against the principalities of this dark world. It is in such circumstances as these that the character of christ is formed in us. Unless the seed dies, it canno

A life that lost it's focus

"Saul died for his trespass against the Lord [in sparing Amalek], for his unfaithfulness in not keeping God's word, and also for consulting [a medium with] a spirit of the dead to inquire pleadingly of it, And inquired not so of the Lord [in earnest penitence] ..." 1 Chronicles 10:13,14 Saul, the first king of Israel, began his walk very well. It was the ideal start any one could look for - with all the favor from God and Prophet Samuel, being the tallest one among the people, being the first king of Israel. But along the way, he lost the focus and the end was a miserable and sad one. I am sure you will agree with me that it is how you finish, is more important than how you start . It is definitely an advantage to start well, but finishing is more crucial. The above verse made me think on why Saul's end was a sad one? What are the lessons that I could learn from him? He disobeyed the specific command to destroy the Amalekites Not keeping God's word - In general