Skip to main content

Word of Authority

During the time when Jesus was on this earth, there was a Centurion in the city of Capernaum. One of his bond servants fell ill to the point of death. When he came to know that Jesus was in the city, he sent some men to request Jesus to come to his house and heal the servant. After some time, he sent some more men to implore him not to come under his roof, but just to speak word of healing. What made the centurion to change his mind?

The centurion understood the power of word spoken with authority. In his daily life he had been experiencing it when he commands the soldiers and servants under him.
"For I also am a man [daily] subject to authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, Go, and he goes; and to another, Come, and he comes; and to my bond servant, Do this, and he does it." Luke 7:8
The same principle he applied towards Jesus. He heard about Jesus - His word carrying authority to forgive sins and heal the sick people. He must have reasoned out that if my word (from a mere human being) can carry such an authority, what about the word from Jesus? He understood the divine nature of Jesus.

This logic made the Centurion to approach Jesus with faith to request help, "But [just] speak a word, and my servant boy will be healed." Luke 7:7

When Jesus heard these words from the Centurion (Not an Israelite, a Roman military officer), He made a wonderful statement:
"Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and He turned and said to the crowd that followed Him, I tell you, not even in [all] Israel have I found such great faith [as this]." Luke 7:9
Questions To Ponder:
  1. Do you believe that Jesus' word (God's word) carries authority?
  2. Think of various situations in your daily life you can apply this truth?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord is my Light and the Rock of salvation

Read Pslams 27:1 - 3 1 THE LORD is my Light and my Salvation--whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. 3 Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, [even then] in this will I be confident. In this Psalm, the author sings with confidence "The Lord is my light and the rock of my salvation. Whom shall I fear, whom shall I fear". Important fact to note is the confidence with which he sings. Many times, we go through our days without confidence and peace that we observe in the psalmist. The author goes to the extent of declaring that he will not be afraid even if an enemy encamps around him or a war comes up. There is a promise in the Bible, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything with prayers and thanksgiving submit your requests to God and the

Joy in the midst of Nazi Concentration camps

The well known survivor of Nazi concentration camps by God's grace, Corrie Ten Boom writes in her book titled, " A Prisoner and yet... " While being imprisoned at Vught prison camp by Nazis, the women of Harlem (A town in Holland from where Corrie Ten Boom hails from) used to sing the following song under their pressing conditions: " We never let our courage fall, We hold our heads up high. They never, never will prevail, No matter how they try. Onward we press, our word is 'yes', Heads up, you women of Vught, heads up. " Their faith in the living God is the source of their confidence to sing the above song under such a horrible in-human treatment by Nazis. What an assurance of peace it is to know that the Joy of the Lord is indeed our strength as we go through the pressures of life and fight against the principalities of this dark world. It is in such circumstances as these that the character of christ is formed in us. Unless the seed dies, it canno

Question of willingness

When Jesus encountered a man full of leprosy, very interesting conversation happened. Here it is: "While He was in one of the towns, there came a man full of (covered with) leprosy; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, Lord, if You are willing, You are able to cure me and make me clean. And [Jesus] reached out His hand and touched him, saying, I am willing; be cleansed! And immediately the leprosy left him." Luke 5:12,13 As I was contemplating on these 2 verses, tears welled up in my eyes. Here was a man full of leprosy, a social outcast, who is not allowed to move freely among the society. His words spoke volumes about his faith in Jesus, but humble enough to seek confirmation about Jesus willingness to heal him. In other words, we can infer that none of the people around this man are willing in his well being. He was kind of helpless. Jesus response and actions were equally surprising - He reached out His hand - This action of Jesus signifie